Thursday, June 25, 2009

Nothing like a bit of heat!!

Well, summer has arrived full swing with the solstice!! As transformers pop off like old fashioned flash bulbs, I am reminded of the 1965 Blackout that affected 25 million people.  I was studying for an American History test when my desk lamp began to flicker.  Fairly soon all the lights were gone in the whole city.  Even Manhattan can become eerily quiet when there is no power. My dad, college brother and I went outside and walked to Broadway from our Riverside Drive apartment building.  It was one of those moments in your life you never forget.  No street lights, no ambient light and no noise all the way down the long avenue.  Typical of New Yorkers, loads of people were outside as well.  Everyone was friendly and talking softly but there was no panic. I wonder if that same reaction would be possible today?

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating story Elisabeth ... I once read that the summer of 1965 saw the sharpest increase in pregnancies. While this seems somewhat inappropriate to reference, it does hearken back to the discussion of what is important in life.

    As embedded in online learning as I have become, I think it is important to note that sometimes I should turn off sometimes as well.

    I think people today would be ok as well...

    ReplyDelete